Saturday, August 15, 2009

Review: The Other Boleyn Girl


Hi guys. It's been while since the last time I posted a review. So here it is, my review on one of the most promising "history" movies I've seen, The Other Boleyn Girl.

It's a story about Anne Boleyn (Natalie Portman) and her sister, Mary Boleyn (Scarlett Johansson), on how their father and uncle led them to get the affection of the King of England, Henry VIII (Eric Bana). Mary became a one-time mistress of the king, and Anne became the second wife. The movie portrayed how these sisters greatly changed England through their efforts on the King, especially Anne Boleyn. Read more of the story here.

For me, the movie was really informative. I learned so much about the history of England. I learned so much about Anne Boleyn, that she was the mother of the great queen Elizabeth. Also, about Catherine of Aragon, the 1st wife of Henry VIII, George Boleyn, brother of the Boleyn sisters. The struggle of the King to have a son.
The English reformation after Anne Boleyn's death, that led to the Golden Age of her daughter's reign (Queen Elizabeth). The accusations, trials, secret marriages, scandals, persecutions and beheadings (ouch!). A LOTT!!!

So much for that, the actors played the characters well. Although I never really liked Scarlett's acting, she did great portraying Mary Boleyn. And I love Natalie's role as Anne, strong, intelligent and will-powered. All of them greatly did a great job.
The flow of the story was also good. I can say that because I understood the movie without any reference or background about the story. So it's really cool. :D

Now, I'm so thrilled to watch Elizabeth's story. There's a lot of movies about Queen Elizabeth (one played by cate Blanchett, one that was in the 90's, one's from Discovery channel, another from BBC..a lot!), and I wonder what to watch..

Rating: 89%

0 comments:

Post a Comment